Action for Enterprise (AFE) is a leader in the field of private sector development for fighting poverty. A private nonprofit organization, AFE has experience in over 35 different market systems/ value chains and 25 countries. For over twenty years, AFE has implemented cutting edge field programs, provided technical support to development agencies worldwide, developed state-of-the art training programs, and authored numerous publication
Value Chain Coordinators
Job Location: Kathmandu, Eastern or Central districts
No. of Vacancies: 3
Offered Salary: Negotiable
- Bachelors/Master’s degree in Business or Agriculture related field
- Bachelors/Master’s degree in Business or Agriculture related field
- Minimum five years of experience working with private sector development programs in Nepal or other developing countries
- Experience in project implementation
- Demonstrated experience in writing project reports, documents, memorandums of understanding, TORs, contracts, etc.
- Experience in preparing and conducting formal presentations
- Experience in organizing conferences, seminars, workshops, trainings, and study tours
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Thorough skills in MS Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Strong inter-personal skills, proactive, highly organized and ability to work under pressure and with set deadlines
- Experience working in the private sector a plus
- Ability and willingness to significant periods of time in the field, outside of Kathmandu (some of the positions will be field-based)
- Ability to develop and manage good relationships
The objective of the Sabal project is to improve food and economic security for low income producers in eastern and central Nepal. Action for Enterprise (AFE), as a project consortium partner, is providing the project’s Value Chain/Market Systems Team with a Team Leader as well as Value Chain (VC) Coordinators. AFE is also providing short-term technical support.
The role of the Value Chain/Market Systems Team (and the VC Coordinators) is to facilitate market development activities in Sabal targeted districts that will result in increased competitiveness of market actors and improved and expanded products, services, support and market access for small-scale producers. VC Coordinators will be assigned the following roles and responsibilities:
Conducting Abbreviated Assessments of Prioritized VCs
- Identify and interview relevant market actors/ develop VC maps
- Identify key constraints facing producers in the VC/market system, market based solutions (MBS) that can address those constraints, private sector firms with incentives/interest to provide MBS, challenges facing firms in providing MBS and illustrative private sector-led initiatives that will result in inclusive market system development
- Contribute to VC Assessment reports
Identifying and Soliciting Initiatives from Private Sector Market Actors
- Review and analyze the results of the abbreviated VC assessments
- Develop “Invitations for Applications” (IFAs) for private sector Market Actors with commercial incentives and interest to provide targeted market-based solutions. IFAs will be tailored to different kinds of market actors and will invite them to propose initiatives that will help them overcome the challenges they face in developing their competitiveness and improving or expanding the products, services, market access or support they provide to producers they buy from or sell to.
- Develop and circulate “requests for expressions of interest” based on IFAs
- Conduct “pre-application meetings” with targeted market actors to present the IFAs and discuss both company-specific initiatives and cross-company activities
- Carry out participatory strategic/ business planning exercises with market actorsreview proposed private sector-led initiatives and develop “impact logics” that demonstrate how the initiatives will contribute to project objectives.
Structure Agreements with Market Actors and Support them in the Implementation of Initiatives
- Assess the feasibility and projected impact of proposed market actor initiatives in their supply chain or distribution channels that will result in increased VC
- Competitiveness as well as positive impact on the producers they transact with.
- Review applications received from market actors for technical and financial support.
- Support market actors to refine and improve their applications
- Conduct due diligence on market actor applicants
- Develop impact logics to show the impact of proposed market actor initiatives on target group
- Develop Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) as well as technical and financial support agreements with market actors
- Identify and organize “cross-company” initiatives (exposure visits, training activities, etc.) that would benefit several private sector LFs with similar interests and needs
- Develop question guides and use them for conducting business/strategic planning exercises with market actors
- Identify and organize “cross-company” initiatives (exposure visits, guest speaker events, meetings with research or financial institutions, etc.) that benefit private sector firms with similar interests/needs and build their capacity to effectively support small-scale producers
Additional responsibilities include:
- Support the private sector to design and implement initiatives that will help them to overcome the challenges they face in providing improved or expanded support to their suppliers and customers. This includes building their capacity to prepare and conduct training, promotion and demonstration activities for the producers and intermediaries they buy from or sell to
- Monitor private sector-led initiatives, provide feedback, and support market actors to apply adaptive management that will contribute to more inclusive market systems development.
- Prepare and conduct presentations and/or workshops on value chain and market system development methodologies for other Sabal staff.
- Coordinate VC/Market Team’s activities with Sabal’s senior district/cluster coordinators.
Coordinate with Sabal’s Livelihoods Team to ensure synergy with their activities in Sabal targeted VDCs to:
- Promote enterprise development, business skills/training, behavior change strategies for adoption of improved information communication technologies, and strengthened linkages between producers and financial institutions
- Support producers and market actors to operate effectively within government policy
- Identify market actors with interest and incentives to invest in the targeted VDCs
- Contribute to Sabal M&E MIS and data management.
- Undertake any other duties and projects as may be assigned by their Supervisor.
- Under the overall operational and technical direction of the Sabal Chief of Party and his/her designees, VC Coordinators will report to the Sabal VC/Market Systems Team Leader for all programmatic and technical issues. All personnel HR matters will be coordinated by AFE HQ or its designated representative in Nepal.
- For already registered users: Logon to meroJob.com with your user name and password.
- For new users: Create A New Account.
- Edit your profile (sections: Personal, Education, Other Information etc.).
- Click the ‘Apply Online’ button on this page.
- Check ‘Jobs I’ve applied to’ in the control panel of your profile to confirm your application status. If you have successfully applied, the job position and the organization name will be displayed in the list with the status of application sent.
Applications without disclosure of age and marks/percentage for each level of degree from SLC/equivalent onwards shall be disqualified.
All candidates are expected to be proficient in written/spoken English and Nepali and be computer literate with a working knowledge of office applications. For the position(s) mentioned above, candidates are expected to have a smart personality, pleasant and cheerful nature with excellent interpersonal skill coupled with a desire to excel and having a positive attitude.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for the further selection process(es).The organization reserve the right to reject any/all applications without assigning any reason whatsoever. Canvassing at any stage of the processes shall lead to automatic disqualification.